2013 SSC Student Conference
The Statistical Society of Canada is pleased to announce the inaugural SSC Student Conference, which will take place on
Saturday, May 25th, 2013
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
This student-led conference welcomes all undergraduate and graduate students to participate in workshops and contributed sessions on professional skill development, careers in industry and academia, and research presentations. Dr. Jeffrey Rosenthal of the Department of Statistics at the University of Toronto, a leading Canadian researcher, teacher, author, and an engaging speaker, will give the keynote address.
- Who can attend? The conference is for all undergraduate and graduate students interested in the statistical sciences.
- How can I contribute? Abstract submission is now closed. Cash prizes will be awarded for the best undergraduate oral and poster presentations (courtesy of the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences).
- What is the registration fee? The registration fee is $50. The student conference fee does not include the fee for the main SSC meeting. There will be no on-site registration for the conference.
- How do I register? When you register for the main SSC meeting, an option will be provided to register for the student conference. It will also be possible to register for the student meeting without registering for the main meeting (using the same web form). The registration deadline is May 7th.
How can I arrange travel and housing? Please see the SSC webpage regarding housing at or near the University of Alberta. The student conference will begin at 11am on May 25th, so we encourage registrants to arrive in Edmonton that morning to avoid the cost of an extra night of accommodation. All registrants are responsible for making their own travel arrangements.
If you have questions about the SSC Student Conference of require further information, please contact Mireille Schnitzer, Chair of the Student Organizing Committee.
Abstract submissions must include:
- Your name and the names of your co-authors,
- The associated institution(s) for each co-author,
- The title of the presentation,
- An abstract of no more than 100 words, and
- 3 keywords (that are not included in the title) that describe your topic.
Your submission must indicate:
- Whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student,
- Whether you would like to give a talk or present a poster,
- If you are an undergraduate student, whether you would like to be considered for a presentation award, and
- The language of the presentation (English or French).
Abstracts may be submitted in English or French. We encourage participants to provide translations of their abstracts. Note that computer generated translations will not be accepted.
Deadline for abstract submission: February 28th, 2013.
- Accreditation Appeals Committee
- Accreditation Committee
- Accreditation Services Committee
- Appointments to Other Organizations
- Award for Case Studies in Data Analysis Committee
- Awards Committee
- Bilingualism Committee
- CRM-SSC Prize Committee
- Committee on Membership
- Committee on New Investigators
- Committee on Women in Statistics
- Election Committee
- Executive Committee
- Finance Committee
- Lise Manchester Award Committee
- Pierre Robillard Award Committee
- Program Committee
- Public Relations Committee
- Publications Committee
- Research Committee
- SSC Award for Impact of Applied and Collaborative Work Committee
- SSC Office Committee
- Statistics Education Committee
- Student Research Presentation Award Committee
- Student Travel Grant Committee
- Student and Recent Graduate Committee
- The Canadian Journal of Statistics Award Committee
- Press Releases
- Sections & Regions
- Actuarial Science
- Statistical Education
- Survey Methods
- New Investigators
- Statistical Resources
- Site Map